Pedestrians who get hit by cars often suffer painful and life-altering injuries. If you were struck by a reckless, careless, or negligent motorist, you shouldn’t have to bear the cost of these injuries yourself. While there is no way to undo the harm and suffering you experienced, a settlement from the driver’s insurance provider can provide you with the money you need to rebuild your life. But what is the average settlement for a pedestrian hit by a car? The answer is more complex than you might think.
The team at the Kendall Law Firm can help you pursue a fair settlement after a traumatic pedestrian accident. Our lawyers are known throughout Virginia for outstanding results and dedication to our clients. For over 25 years, founding attorney David Kendall has advocated for the rights of injury victims across the state. A veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, he understands the value of dedication and service to others. Contact us today for a free consultation with a skilled pedestrian accident lawyer in Virginia.
Compensation for Pedestrians After a Collision
The compensation you could receive after a pedestrian accident depends on many factors, including:
- The severity of the injuries
- The medical and personal costs you incur
- The accident’s impact on your daily life
- Whether you suffer long-term or permanent disabilities
- Who is at fault
If you’re like most clients, you probably want to know how much the average pedestrian accident settlement is. Unfortunately, that figure doesn’t exist. Every case has unique factors that impact how much compensation a person receives. If you were hit by a car, an experienced personal injury lawyer can calculate your financial and personal losses and place an appropriate value on your case.
Potential sources of compensation in a successful pedestrian accident claim include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Your reduced future earnings if you can no longer work
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Lost quality of life
- Property damage
Proving fault is essential to the success of any personal injury claim, especially in Virginia. The state has some of the harshest negligence laws in the country. If an insurance company, judge, or jury finds that you caused your accident in any way, you could be barred from recovering any compensation at all. A seasoned lawyer will present evidence to show the other party is liable for your injuries so you can seek the financial relief you need.
Pedestrian Accident Settlement Examples
Since 2009, Kendall Law Firm has successfully represented many injured pedestrians throughout Virginia. In one recent case, we secured a $95,000 settlement for a pregnant woman struck by a vehicle in front of a hospital. The driver was charged in the accident, but the insurance company initially refused to accept liability for our client’s injuries, arguing that she was not in the crosswalk when the crash occurred. However, we thoroughly prepared our client for a court hearing, after which she received a fair settlement.
No two pedestrian accidents are alike, so we cannot guarantee the amount you might receive in a pedestrian accident settlement. However, our law firm will tirelessly advocate for your rights and aggressively pursue the maximum compensation you deserve.
I Just Got Hit by a Car While Walking. What Do I Do Next?
Pedestrian accidents are alarmingly common in Virginia, so it’s important to know what to do if you are hit by a car while walking. Take the following steps after a pedestrian accident to protect yourself and your rights:
- Call 911 – If you are hit by a car while walking, you may suffer serious injuries that require immediate medical treatment. Call 911 immediately to bring police and paramedics to the scene. A police report will be helpful evidence in your case.
- Get the driver’s information – Get the contact information of the driver who hit you, including their name, address, phone number, vehicle registration number, driver’s license number, and insurance information. If your injuries are so severe that you cannot obtain this information, ask someone to do it for you.
- Look for eyewitnesses and surveillance cameras – Testimony from witnesses who saw the accident or footage from surveillance cameras can be crucial evidence in your case. Get the contact information of witnesses and make a note of any nearby cameras.
- Seek medical treatment – Even if your injuries from a pedestrian accident seem minor, get evaluated by a doctor immediately. Having all injuries treated and added to your medical records is vital.
- Do not post about the accident on social media – Legal cases are private matters, but the public can easily see what you say on social media. The insurance company could use anything you say about the accident against you to deny liability for your pedestrian accident injuries.
- Do not give any statements to insurance companies – Do not agree to speak with an insurance representative until you consult an attorney. They may ask for a recorded statement or request that you sign a release form to access your medical records. Let your lawyer handle all communication with the insurance companies to avoid potentially costly mistakes.
- Hire a pedestrian accident lawyer – Pedestrians often suffer catastrophic harm after being struck by a car. The compensation you receive can provide much-needed financial relief during this stressful time. With so much at stake, you need to hire a trusted attorney to push for a full and fair settlement on your behalf.
What to Do if You Hit a Pedestrian While Driving
Virginia law requires a motorist who hits a pedestrian to stop as close to the crash scene as possible, notify the police, and see if the pedestrian needs help. Failure to stop after a pedestrian accident that results in injuries is a Class 5 felony. Even if a pedestrian is totally or partly at fault for a collision, a driver must stop and ensure any injured parties get the help they need. After calling the police and checking on the pedestrian, a driver who hits a pedestrian should immediately contact an attorney.
Contact a Virginia Pedestrian Accident Settlement Lawyer Now
The legal team at Kendall Law Firm has helped many injured Virginians pursue the compensation they need after accidents caused by others. If a car hit you while you were walking, you can rely on our law firm to fight for your rights and hold the at-fault driver accountable. Call (866) 590-9773 or contact us online today for a free consultation with a Virginia pedestrian accident lawyer.