Harrisonburg Car Accident Case Timeline
If you have been seriously injured in a Harrisonburg car accident, you could be facing a long recovery and extended time away from work. If someone else’s recklessness or carelessness caused your injury, you may be eligible to seek compensation for your medical bills and loss of income. You may be entitled to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance. Understandably, you may have questions about how the claims process works and what a Harrisonburg car accident case timeline usually looks like?
For three decades, attorney David Kendall, a native Virginian, has dedicated himself to representing car accident injury victims. With a background as a Judge Advocate General in the U.S. Marine Corps, David Kendall brings deep knowledge and experience to every car accident case he handles.
While each case stands on its own facts, Kendall Law Firm has a track record of securing positive results for its clients. David Kendall has earned membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum because of his success in representing injured clients.
At Kendall Law Firm, we devote 100 percent of our practice to standing up for accident victims and their families. We have the knowledge, skill, and dedication to best serve you.
After a car accident, don’t wait to get the answers you need and the help you deserve. Contact a Harrisonburg car accident lawyer at Kendall Law Firm for a free consultation about your case. We’re available 24/7 online or by phone at (866) 590-9773.
Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer
When people wonder about the steps involved in a car accident case, they need to know that turning to an experienced car accident lawyer for help can be one of the most important steps to take. Selecting a knowledgeable attorney who has a record of successful results in car accident cases can help you throughout the process.
Kendall Law Firm offers a free consultation after a car accident involving injuries. An attorney at Kendall Law Firm can review the details of your car crash and evaluate whether you have a valid personal injury claim. If so, we will offer to handle your claim on a contingency fee basis. We will not have any upfront costs. We will guide you through the process of what to do after a car accident and stand up for you every step of the way.
Investigate Accident – Gather Evidence
The process begins with an investigation of the accident to determine who is financially liable and gather relevant evidence to support your injury claim. The investigation includes:
- Reviewing the police report – If the police responded to the accident, the investigating officer will produce an accident report. The police report will document the names of those involved and provide important details about the accident.
- Getting copies of witness statements – Witnesses can be an important source of information following an accident to understand what happened.
- Obtaining videos and photos – As part of the accident investigation, we seek video from nearby surveillance cameras and traffic cameras that may have recorded the accident. This type of evidence may be lost if it is not secured promptly.
- Gathering medical records –Your medical records document your injuries and will be critical to building a persuasive claim for compensation.
- Pulling together records showing your lost income – Some injuries can prevent you from working or from earning income in the future. As part of the discovery process, you may need to show how the accident caused loss of income and affected your ability to earn future income.
- Getting any medical exams you need to support your case – Medical specialists may need to perform additional tests or exams to understand the severity of your injuries.
- Identifying insurance companies and giving notice of your injuries – We spend time identifying all the insurers and insurance policies that may provide compensation after a car accident. Once we gather evidence of your injuries and losses, we submit a demand letter to the insurance companies seeking full compensation for your losses.
The process of investigating and preparing a car accident injury claim can take several months or longer, depending on the severity of your injuries and the length of time it takes you to recover. It’s important to wait for you to recover to understand the full costs of your injuries and time off work.
From taking care of the insurance paperwork to pulling together the evidence to support your case, a Harrisonburg injury lawyer at Kendall Law Firm can help you build the strongest case possible to seek the full compensation you need.
Car Accident Settlement Process and Negotiations
After the investigation of the accident and submission of a demand letter, your attorney will likely enter negotiations with the insurance company with the goal of reaching a fair settlement.
In car accident cases, the insurance companies may:
- Receive the claim for compensation – To start the settlement process, insurance companies will need notice about your claim.
- Review information about the accident – Insurance companies handle car accident claims all the time. They have processes for investigating and understanding what happened.
- Examine their policies and their potential liability – The amount that an insurance company may be willing to settle for will depend on the limits on any policies.
- Pull together information about the long-term effects of your injuries – An important consideration in any settlement is how you may be affected by your injuries in the long term.
- Engage in settlement negotiations – Settlement negotiations with an insurance company can be challenging. A seasoned attorney will know how to advocate for your interests. During the process of settling a claim, insurance companies are looking out for their bottom line and not for your best interests. That’s why it’s important to have a knowledgeable Harrisonburg car accident lawyer on your side. Throughout the settlement process, an experienced injury attorney can advocate for your rights.
If the insurance company refuses to agree to a reasonable settlement, Kendall Law Firm will be ready to file a car accident lawsuit and present your case to a Virginia civil jury, if necessary.
Car Accident Lawsuit Process
You may need to bring a car accident lawsuit to pursue the compensation you deserve. Some insurance companies will not engage in settlement negotiations until after a lawsuit has been filed. While each case is different, as part of a car accident lawsuit, a lawyer may:
- File a car accident lawsuit with the appropriate court – Depending on the nature of the accident, a lawyer will determine which court in Virginia is appropriate for your case needs.
- Work through the discovery process – A car accident claim is built on strong evidence. The discovery process provides the opposing sides to exchange information and gather evidence to show who is responsible for your accident and injuries.
- Bring legal motions and prepare filings about the case – A car accident lawsuit may need multiple motions and filings to move forward.
- Engage in settlement negotiations – Our attorneys continue working throughout the trial preparation process seeking to negotiate a fair settlement. Insurance companies may be more agreeable to a settlement after seeing the evidence in your case.
- Request a trial and develop a trial strategy – Courts have busy schedules. Getting your case on the court calendar scheduled for trial can take a year or longer.
- Present key statements and evidence about the accident – In most cases, lawyers will present information to the jury. Our experienced legal team knows how to present the evidence related to your injury and the fault of the other driver to make the strongest argument possible.
- Help you collect any money awarded by the court – If a court decides you deserve compensation, a lawyer can help you collect the amount you deserve.
Each case will have unique questions and issues that the court will need to resolve. If you have questions about the lawsuit process and how long your case may take, get in touch with a car accident lawyer today.
Talk to Our Experienced Harrisonburg Car Accident Lawyers
If you’ve been injured in a Harrisonburg car crash and you believe another driver was at fault, get in touch with Kendall Law Firm today. We’re committed to making your initial consultation as convenient as possible.
If your injuries limit your mobility and you can’t come to our office, we can meet over the phone, via videoconference, or at a location that is more convenient for you. We care about you so get in touch after an accident to understand how we can help.
With outstanding reviews on Google, an A+ Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating, and case results that speak for themselves, we’re here for you. Contact us online or give us a call at (866) 590-9773 for your free consultation.