Car Accident Lawyer Serving Staunton
If you were injured recently in a car accident, you’re likely still recovering physically and trying to figure out how to piece your life back together. The shock of an accident and its aftermath are often overwhelming, and the thought of dealing with vehicle repairs, medical bills, and insurance providers on top of everything else may feel impossible. While you may be tempted to handle the injury claim yourself, you will be at a disadvantage in dealing with the insurance company. The resulting cost you’ll pay in time, stress, and lost financial compensation can be significant.
At Kendall Law Firm, we are committed to fighting for the rights of Staunton area residents who are personal injury victims. Our law practice is devoted to accident and injury cases. We’ve seen all types of car accidents and we know the catastrophic effects they have. Because of this, we’re prepared for any car accident situation and the legal complications that may follow. If you’re interested in learning more about how we can help you, call us at (434) 326-4350 or fill out our contact form for a free consultation.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Staunton
In the state of Virginia, driving is considered a privilege. All motorists have a responsibility to know and obey local traffic laws, be respectful to other drivers, and ensure the safety of others nearby. However, irresponsible decisions and even minor mistakes can result in serious crashes and significant injuries. Some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Drivers who drink alcohol and drive are not only breaking the law, they’re putting themselves and everyone else on the road at serious risk of injury. Alcohol slows drivers’ reaction time and impairs critical thinking skills.
- Driving while under the influence of drugs is just as dangerous as drunk driving and can be harder to detect. Because there are so many different types of drugs with widely different effects, drugged drivers are particularly unpredictable. People who use prescription or over-the-counter drugs can be too impaired to drive due to drowsiness or confusion.
- Today, there are more handheld cell phones and communication devices in existence than ever. Drivers who use them while behind the wheel are at increased risk of an accident. Texting, talking on the phone, and even using GPS screens can present unnecessary risks in a moving vehicle.
- Drivers who consume food or drink, play loud music, or focus on interactions with passengers while driving may not react as quickly to traffic hazards such as another vehicle stopping suddenly. Anything that draws a driver’s eyes or focus away from the road can be dangerous.
One of the most common causes of distracted driving is fatigue. Sleepy drivers may lose focus behind the wheel, react more slowly or even doze off.
- Drivers who speed, accelerate through intersections when the light is changing, follow too closely, weave between lanes, fail to yield the right of way or exhibit other aggressive behaviors are frequently at fault in car accidents.
Unsafe road conditions
- Inclement weather can have serious effects on road safety, especially when visibility is compromised. Storms, rain, fog, and slippery surfaces may make it more difficult for drivers to see and brake in time to avoid an accident.
- Potholes present hazards to motor vehicles. A driver who swerves to avoid hitting a pothole or after hitting it may careen into other cars and cause a chain reaction.
- Malfunctioning or missing traffic signs may leave drivers with confusing instructions or no instruction at all. This can lead to illegal turns, unsafe lane mergers, or even intersection pile-ups.
- Cars with faulty brake systems might not slow in time to stop and prevent dangerous rear-end crashes.
- Flaws in a vehicle’s electrical system, power steering, or other mechanical components can make a car difficult to steer or maintain. Some issues such as defective wiring may even result in electrical fires.
- In some cases, even safety features such as airbags can cause problems, if they don’t deploy correctly. It’s not common, but airbags have been recorded deploying on their own in the absence of a crash, startling drivers and wreaking havoc.
What To Do If You Are In A Car Accident In Staunton
When you’re injured in a car crash, your first priority should be seeking appropriate medical attention so you can heal and move forward. Unfortunately, your responsibilities are unlikely to end there.
To the extent that you are able, you may also need to:
- Gather names and contact information from any available passengers or other witnesses to the accident;
- Collect contact information and insurance details from the other driver or drivers involved in the crash;
- Avoid the urge to minimize your injuries or accept fault in front of others;
- Take photographs of any injuries or property damage from the collision, and capture images of the accident scene itself;
- Contact your auto insurance company to report the crash;
- Send bills from any resulting medical services or car repairs to the appropriate health or auto insurance providers;
- Act quickly to stay within the two-year statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Virginia; and
- Seek the counsel of an experienced Staunton car accident lawyer.
Legal Help From Staunton Car Accident Lawyer
You may be technically capable of handling your own accident claim, but without an understanding of the law and common settlement procedures, you’ll have no way of knowing whether you receive a fair outcome. One of the most important reasons for hiring a lawyer is their extensive experience dealing with insurance companies.
In addition to navigating complicated legal matters for you, an experienced car accident attorney can:
- Provide legal counsel and other advice – Car accident lawyers are familiar with the common causes and effects of vehicle collisions. It’s a skilled attorney’s job to use this familiarity to provide useful legal advice and tips to their clients.
- Communicate on your behalf – Car crash claims often involve high-dollar repair and recovery bills, so careful communication is vital. A lawyer can handle the paperwork and communicate with the insurance company on your behalf and make sure you don’t accidentally say anything to harm your claim.
- Handle important legal documents – In the aftermath of a collision, you may not have time for legal research or filing papers while you recuperate. Attorneys can manage these critical tasks for you.
- Investigate and gather evidence – It may not be obvious in some case who is at fault in an accident. Even when liability is clear, your lawyer will conduct an investigation and collect evidence to build a strong case for your claim.
- Negotiate with insurance providers – Experienced attorneys have the advantage of knowing what reasonable settlements look like. They also won’t be intimidated by the insurance company representatives. An attorney will almost always be able to secure a larger payout than clients could fighting on their own.
- Represent you in court – Most car accident claims are resolved through settlements. Occasionally, these cases must be brought to a court. When this happens, a good lawyer represents your interests at trial and fights for the justice you deserve.
Contact Kendall Law Firm Today
The attorneys at Kendall Law Firm have served clients in Staunton and the Shenandoah Valley region for more than a decade. Our law office is just minutes away from Mary Baldwin College and historic downtown Staunton. We take pride in our record of case results for clients and our commitment to community involvement.
We care about the people we serve, and we’re committed to making a difference, regardless of our clients’ abilities to pay. That’s why every case we accept begins with a free consultation. We want you to understand the details of your case and the options available to you. Once you hire us, we will represent you on a contingency-fee-basis. What this means is that we will not charge an attorney fee unless we are successful in winning compensation for your claim. In short, we don’t get paid until you do.
If you decide that hiring a Staunton car accident lawyer is your best option, or you still have questions about your case, we want to hear from you. Our knowledgeable staff is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to answer your questions. Send us a live chat message, fill out our online contact form, or give us a call at (434) 326-4350 today.