Charlottesville Slip and Fall Knee Injury Lawyers
Did you suffer a knee injury in a slip and fall accident? Injuries to a knee and elbow are common in falls and can cause serious fractures and tears. Have you had to miss work, or are you facing a stack of medical bills because of your injury? If so, you might be entitled to significant compensation.
Owners and managers have a duty to make sure their property is as safe as possible for those on their premises. When they fail to maintain their property in safe condition, it can lead to slip and fall accidents that result in knee injuries and other joint injuries.
At Kendall Law Firm, we understand the pain, stress and disruption that a serious knee injury can cause. A knee injury attorney is here to help you seek full compensation for your medical bills and loss of income, if your slip and fall injury was caused by someone else’s carelessness or disregard for safety. Our law firm can handle all the details of your claim, so you can focus on recovery from your injuries.
With three offices across central Virginia and extensive legal experience, attorney David Kendall and the team at Kendall Law Firm has the resources and experience to handle your knee injury accident claim. As demonstrated by our positive reviews from past clients, we have a proven track record of achieving successful case results and serving clients with the compassion and personalized attention they deserve.
If you are suffering from a knee injury and you suspect someone else’s negligence caused the injury, contact Kendall Law Firm today to speak to a slip and fall lawyer and to understand your legal options. The initial consultation is free, and we won’t charge you any legal fee unless we secure compensation for you. To get started, schedule your free, no-obligation consultation with a knee injury attorney by calling us today at (434) 326-4350 or contacting us online.
Common Knee Injuries And What Causes Them
Three bones form the knee joint. It’s the largest joint in the body, and it’s easily injured. Knee injuries can cause chronic pain and mobility issues that get worse over time. If someone doesn’t get proper medical treatment after a slip and fall accident, he or she may develop problems later and not know the root cause. Some of the most common knee injuries include:
- Fracture of the kneecap. Kneecap fractures are one of the most serious types of knee injuries. This usually happens when someone falls forward and lands on their knees. Fractures often prevent victims from being able to walk and typically require surgery to repair.
- Knee joint or kneecap dislocations happen when the knee suffers a high-impact force that causes the bones to shift out of place. In some instances, a physician can pop the knee back into place and heal the injury with a splint and physical therapy. However, other dislocations damage many parts of the knee and require surgery to heal properly.
- Torn meniscus: When someone slips, their knee and upper body might twist while their foot stays in place, which often results in a torn meniscus, the tough rubbery cartilage that serves as a shock absorber and helps cushion and stabilize the joint. This type of torn cartilage injury typically causes swelling and hinders the victim’s movement.
While this injury can sometimes heal on its own with physical therapy, victims often need surgery to repair a meniscus tear. With surgery, the doctor might need to remove cartilage, which can lead to permanent joint weakness.
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury. ACL injuries usually happen when the knee is forced to move in an unnatural way, such as when the knee bends backward, or it’s twisted. Victims often hear a popping sound when they damage their ACL. These injuries can range in severity. The most serious ACL injuries require surgery to remedy pain, swelling, and movement limitations.
- Muscle or tendon sprain: Sprains are some of the most common types of knee injuries caused by slip and fall incidents. These injuries happen when the ligament is stretched beyond its normal limit, which typically causes pain, stiffness, swelling, and bruising. While many sprains heal with rest or physical therapy, more serious sprains may require surgery.
Some common causes of slip and fall accidents that result in knee injuries include:
- Lack of warning signs about slippery or uneven surfaces
- Poorly maintained floors and sidewalks
- Areas that don’t meet building codes
- Failure to remedy hazards like a spilled drink in a timely manner
- Poorly lit areas
- Clutter or debris that impedes walkways
There are numerous situations that could lead to a slip and fall accident and different types of knee injuries. A knee injury attorney can review your accident in detail and help you determine whether you have a valid claim and who should be held at fault in your accident.
Signs Of Knee Injury
If you or a loved one is suffering from a knee injury after a slip and fall accident, it’s critical to see a medical professional. They can evaluate your injuries, recommend the proper treatment, and help prevent your injury from causing long-term issues.
While some injuries are visible, many types of knee injuries such as meniscus tears are less obvious and can get worse without proper treatment. Some common signs that you might be suffering from a knee injury include:
- Difficulty moving your knee or bending it
- Redness or bruising
- Problems walking or bearing weight
- Popping or clicking sounds
- Bumps or abnormal appearance
- Severe pain
Even if you’re only experiencing subtle pain, your knee injury may be more serious than you realize.
Treatment Of Knee Injuries After Slip And Fall Accidents
Some of the most common short-term treatments your physician might recommend for knee injuries follow the acronym R.I.C.E.:
- Avoid using your knee to allow the injured area time to heal and to prevent further injury
- Put ice on your knee to help reduce swelling
- Gently wrap your knee with an elastic bandage or knee brace to minimize pain and swelling
- Whenever you’re sitting down, raise the knee at or above heart level to help reduce swelling
Your doctor might also prescribe injections or anti-inflammatory medicine to relieve the pain. The doctor may recommend that you do special exercises to support the knee and prevent further injuries. More serious injuries might require extensive physical therapy, invasive surgery, or knee replacement.
Possible Outcomes From Knee Injuries
Victims with severe knee injuries might face significant outcomes, such as:
- Permanent loss of the use of their knees
- Chronic pain
- Limited range of motion
- Blood vessel injuries
Recovery Process For Common Knee Injuries
When knee injuries are severe, it can take years for victims to recover. Some victims never recover fully. Even minor injuries can disrupt the victim’s life for many weeks or months.
Depending on the severity of your injury, you might have to avoid walking, playing sports, or doing other activities that put pressure on your knee. If you have a physically demanding job that requires that you stay on your feet, you may be unable to work while you are recovering from a knee injury. Some of the most severe injuries require surgery, and some victims have to wear a brace or do physical therapy for the rest of their lives.
Who Is Liable For My Knee Injuries?
Many different issues can lead to slip and fall accidents. Many different parties may be liable for your injuries, such as the owner of a restaurant you were visiting or the manager of an apartment complex with negligent conditions.
To file a slip and fall injury lawsuit, you’ll need to prove that someone else had a duty to provide a safe environment, their failure to fulfill their responsibility resulted in your accident, and you suffered specific injuries because of the slip and fall accident.
Under Virginia law, victims can only claim compensation for slip and fall injuries if they were on the property legally when the accident occurred and only if they did nothing to contribute to the accident.
In Virginia, if the property owner can prove that a victim was partly responsible for an accident, then the victim cannot recover compensation for his or her injuries. If you did something like tripping while you were talking on your phone, then the defendant might try to claim you were partially at fault because you weren’t paying attention to where you were walking. It’s important for accident victims to have the representation of a skilled slip and fall accident lawyer who is familiar with insurance company tactics and can push back against an insurer’s attempt to shift the blame.
A skilled attorney can investigate your accident and help you build a strong case to prove that someone else was responsible for your injuries. Your attorney can also help protect your rights by speaking with the insurance company on your behalf.
What Can I Expect As A Settlement Amount For Knee Injuries?
Compensation in knee injury settlements typically covers damages, such as:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Inability to earn future income
- Future medical costs
- Pain and suffering
- Inability to perform household tasks due to injuries
- Loss of consortium
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Slip and fall knee injuries commonly settle between $10,000 and $50,000, but the amount of money you can expect to get in a knee injury lawsuit or settlement will depend on the specific facts of your case and your ability to prove that another person or party was responsible for your injuries.
Talk To A Slip And Fall Injury Lawyer
Don’t wait to get the help you need after your slip and fall injury. Contact Kendall Law Firm today to discuss your legal options with a knowledgeable knee injury lawyer. Our full-service personal injury law firm can file a claim on your behalf, negotiate with insurers, and fight for your rights.
Contact us today at (434) 326-4350 or contact us online to set up your free, no-obligation consultation.